Tuesday, April 8, 2008

MY TAKE ON THE DESERT ROSE CONFERENCE

The 2008 Desert Rose Conference, was over the weekend. Everyone did a spectacular job, especially Susan and Tina, our conference coordinators. This was my first conference experience and I am glad I made the choice to attend a smaller, more intimate conference first. From what I heard from others conference veterans, this conference had everything that Nationals had, and a whole lot more.

Hmmm. Well, lets see. There is so much to tell. I checked in Carly Phillips while working the registration table! WOW! Talk about In AWE! Love her books.

I sat at the same dinner table as Sherrilyn Kenyon, our keynote speaker. What a dynamic story she had to tell. It moved me and brought me to tears. Also had her sign my book and had my picture taken with her.

My editor and agent appointment went great! I had a request for my manuscript, Dating 911 and she was interested in the sequel Dating Impossible. Keep your fingers crossed that they accept them!

The workshops were taped and available for sale for $10 each from the Desert Rose Website. I recommend listening to Keynote: Dare, Dream, Do by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Talk about inspirational. The hurdles she went through to make her dream of writing come true is absolutely amazing.

Got High Concept by Lori Wilde. I bought this one because I’d missed it, but heard it was fantastic!

Keynote~Luncheon speaker by Carly Phillips. She also had an amazing story to tell.

Rejection Proof Your Query by Agent Jessica Faust.

Brenda Joyce spoke on self-promotion~Branding yourself and your product. That was an eye opener. Unfortunately that one wasn’t taped, but I took great notes.

There were many others, but those are the highlights. I learned more about networking and promotion, too. Which is AWESOME because I am getting ready to launch my book~THE DOCTOR'S DECEPTION, a future release from The Wild Rose Press.

Another highlight was meeting Brenda Novak. What a dynamic lady. I’ve been working with her on her online auction for diabetes. I won a prize from the raffle drawing~Tea and Champagne for 4 at the Phoencian here in town. Since I’m too busy and wouldn’t know what to do with myself, I donated it to Brenda’s auction. Go to www.brendanovakcom. There are a lot of auction items available to help aspiring writers. Critiques from agents and editors, a mentoring program, and a lot lot more.

Well, that is all for now. The next DR conference is in 2010! I highly recommend everyone go. I’m saving up for next year’s RT in Orlando in 2009.

Kathleen

1 comment:

Rebecca Ryan said...

It sounds like an incredible experience!