Thursday, March 6, 2008

GOT TEAMWORK?

In my job in the ICU, teamwork is extremely important. Doctors, nurses, techs, ancillary departments HAVE to work together~lives depend on it! If one person drops the ball the consequences could be fatal.

Take a look at the picture above. This patient (lost in the midst of all the IV's and medical equipment) is a typical patient in the intensive care. Imagine if he codes and I'm all by myself? I'd be in big trouble. But I know once I shout for help and slam my hand on the code button, the rest of my team will be there for me. Respiratory will take over ventilating the patient. One person will start chest compressions. One person will start giving medications through the IV. I'll give an update to the Intensivist as we do ACLS--advanced cardiac life support--measures. Radiology will come to do an x-ray. Lab shows up for any stat blood draws. Security shows up to make sure all is calm. Pastoral care is there for the family until a member of the medical team can sit down with them.

In my upcoming release, THE DOCTOR'S DECEPTION, I portrayed my hero as a doctor who doesn't seem to fit in. Although his colleagues aren't aware of his reasons for his single-minded focus, he comes across rude and arrogant. No one wants to work with him, and comes down to the point where the nurses are threatening to quit or transfer departments rather than take his patients.

The scenario is extreme to be sure, not to mention, a lot of fun to create. But I wondered if anyone was ever forced to work with someone like this before? Did they ever change their ways? Did you feel compelled to get another job? What steps were available to you to take?

Then I thought about publishing and the process it takes to get a book in print or in e-book form.
Everyone works together to get that book pulled together for readers. Your editor reads through the material several times and then will send it back to the author for edits. Once accepted, then the pages go to production for a galley. A cover is produced. The entire thing goes back to the author for review, then it goes back to the publisher again. But you see the process? Give and take~Teamwork!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, Kathleen. The most difficult part of the process, for me, is evaluation. A writer looks at her/his story so many times, little mistakes can be overlooked. To view the story each time as if you were seeing it for the first time is a mindset.
And caffeine doesn't hurt. grin...

Rebecca Ryan said...

You're right, it's a lot of teamwork!