Monday, February 25, 2008

DIABETES MONDAY~FACT #4


I'm running late with my post today! Sorry, but my husband dragged me out of the house and we didn't get home until late. Then with dinner, homework, and checking emails, I've been way behind.

I wanted to share what diabetic neuropathy is with all of you. As you may already know, nerves run throughout our entire body. When your sugars are not properly controlled, damage to those nerves occurs. This causes severe pain. The pain may be localized to one area of your body, or you may have it more wide spread.

Unfortunately, there is no pain pill for nerve pain. There are some drugs on the market that can help ease the discomfort, but it is sort of hit and miss. Neurontin comes to mind. It is an analgesic adjunct (fancy name for something used in combination with other drugs to treat pain). But, as with most prescription drugs, there are side effects such as confusion, drowsiness, dizziness.

Very depressing, huh? What can you do to help raise money for a cure? One thing you can do is go to http://www.brendanovak.com/. She is having an online auction to help raise money for diabetes research during the entire month of May.

Below I've posted some pictures of postage stamps that I happened to run across while helping my daughter with her homework. Enjoy!

No comments: