Tuesday, February 26, 2008

WHAT MOTIVATES YOU?

When people learn I have a husband, four kids, work about 48-60 hours per week as a registered nurse; and on top of that just received a contract from The Wild Rose Press for my first book, they often ask: "Where do you get your motivation?"

This question surprises me. Even as a child, if I wanted something, I went after it. I wanted to be published in romance fiction. So I went after my dream. After I'd written my first book in complete ignorance and received several rejections, I started doing some research. What had I done wrong? How can I make this better? That first book is still on my shelf, but I knew I could do better.

Keep your dream alive. Do whatever it takes to make it happen. Because, ultimately YOU are the only person who can make your dreams come true. No editor was going to knock on my front door to look for me. I had to do my homework. I read a lot on what novels were selling, which agents and publishing houses would be interested in what I write, about passive versus active voice, three dimensional characters, and became involved with a couple of different critique groups.

Writing is WORK!!! Hard WORK! You pour yourself into each page you type. Some days, you may only write a paragraph. Others, ten or twenty pages. But it is your willingness to write and put yourself out there by submitting your work which is key.

Use whatever works! My positive affirmation is, "OPTIMISM IS LIFE CHANGING!!" This has certainly been true for me. I kept myself motivated by my belief that I'd someday be published. I continue to write, working on my next novel. I have an idea for a sequel to my fireman book, and plotted a feminine spy series in the January Plotting Boot Camp Class I recently took. I WANT to succeed and continue to be successful!

How about you? What keeps you motivated?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent article, Kathleen and so true. You and only you will make your dreams come true. You must believe.
jj Keller
Writing fantasies with spice and humor.
Melody's Song and The Ghost Inside coming soon to Cobblestone Press.com,
Trade Agreement coming soon at The Wild Rose Press.com